Thinking about starting founding an InterNACHI chapter in your area? Forming your own Chapter is easy and fun. We will help you.
Chapter meetings are excellent places for inspectors to meet and compare inspection and marketing methods and to pursue education. Being an officer in your own local chapter is also great way to promote your business.
CHAPTER FORMATION and MEETING INSTRUCTIONS:
If you wish to found a local InterNACHI Chapter/meeting here is how to get it up and running:
- Think up a name for your new Chapter.
- Schedule a time and place for your first meeting. Many industry speakers are available. Hotels that offer a conference room, dinner, drinks and discounted room rates are best. Typically the hotel will waive the room cost if dinner is part of the meeting. Do not offer an open bar, only a cash bar. If the hotel needs money up front, InterNACHI will provide you with the necessary funds.
- Find a speaker from a local business, i.e., water-proofer, heating/cooling, foundation repair or roofing contractor, civil engineer, accountant, lawyer, estate agent, environmental consultant, chimney sweep, pest exterminator or anyone else who can deliver a short talk during the meeting. Create your own chapter website at http://www.nachi.org/chaptersites.htm.
- InterNACHI Chapter meetings are open and free to members of all associations and new inspectors. Spouses are also welcome. Expect to often have more non- members than members in attendance.
- Email email@example.com once you have put your announcement up on your chapter website so that InterNACHI can advertise the event on the national site.
- Email the invitation to every inspector within 400 miles. You can use the internet to find email addresses. This is the most important step. Just like in any endeavor, advertising is key. People have proved willing to travel long distances to attend an InterNACHI meeting.
- Invite local estate agents. They often won’t come but receiving an invitation from you is good for your inspection business. Being the President of your own Chapter of InterNACHI enhances your position in your own local market.
- Post the invitation on various message boards. If you are a member of another national or regional association, post it on your association forums, chat room, e-forum or website.
- Drop off invitations to all the local real estate agents in your area. It is good for your business and will enhance your position in your local market.
- InterNACHI staff will email a formal announcement to all nearby inspectors on our mailing lists.* We will post the formal announcement link on several pages of InterNACHI.org.* We will also inform and remind all nearby InterNACHI members by email.*
- Call the local newspapers and ask them to cover the event.
- Send the local newspapers press-releases announcing the event.
- Try to get some freebies to hand out, i.e., inspection software, tool catalogs, discount coupons, literature from your speaker, etc. Ask product manufacturers who would like to sell products to home inspectors for free samples to give away. These sponsors will usually gladly ship you door prizes to give away. Contact them directly and have them ship to you ahead of time. Many sponsors will provide you with a certificate instead of the actual door prize. For help, contact Kenton Shepard at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Periodically keep checking in with the hotel and caterer to assure that the room and dinner will be ready.
- On the evening of the meeting, provide name tags, get names and addresses of attendees, and collect money for the dinner.
- Attending a Chapter meeting counts as one hour toward continuing education requirements.